Monday, October 31, 2005

The Epic Saga - Miles One through Five

Mile One

We started moving and as I had been warned by friends, there is just no way to run that first mile. Just way too many people. But I'm glad because it gave me a chance to really savour the moment!! It was really dark and probably cold, though I didn't feel it at the time. My family was going to be waiting at the Jamba Juice Cheer Location at Mile 0.4 -- except the route never passed by there!!! Luckily they were paying attention and relocated themselves.




Catch the great shirts and signs?? All thanks to my wonderful SIL who was the Head Cheerleader!! If it wasn't for her, my cheering section would not have been quite as cheerful :)





It was so still and quiet as we approached the Embarcadero.


Miles Two and Three
Still walking...though this is when we begin to pick up our pace and start to run. We move to the left in order to pass the walkers. Pretty cold still so I decide NOT to check my long sleeve shirt at the coat check at Mile 2.5. I figure that I'll just chuck it at some point along the route. (As it happens, I never do get rid of it because the temperatures stay pretty cool all day and I alternate between hot and cold later on.)

Amy pulls ahead around now. This is not uncommon as she often starts out faster than Missy and I do. We guess how long it will take to catch up with her...


Miles Four and Five
We run along Fisherman's Wharf. It is so early that we actually see the baker at the Boudin Bakery hard at work on those sourdough rounds and baguettes. Missy takes his photo and he seems thrilled to have several thousand women wave to him as he starts his day.

We go through the Presidio which has a little rough terrain. Mostly because the sprinklers are on full-blast and the paved route is soaked. So Missy and I opt to brave the unpaved grass and bushes on the other side of the drenched path. Coach Bob had warned us to keep our shoes dry no matter what the cost. And so we did.



Coming next: the dreaded San Francisco hill

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger PepGiraffe said...

Go, Rabbit, Go! (Can't wait to hear more.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com