Friday, July 15, 2005

Can I Do It??

I never did get my 10 mile run in this week. In fact, I didn't get ANY running time in this week. None! To say that I am nervous about tomorrow's 12 mile run is a tremendous understatement.

PC ("Prince Charming" - my dear husband) reminded me that this is usually about the time that I fall off the exercise-wagon. Great momentum in the beginning that tends to taper off after about 6 or 7 weeks. Eek...what if he's right??

I downloaded the route for tomorrow's run. It looks really, really, really challenging. First of all, it is a completely unfamilar route. That makes it so difficult to anticipate length along the way. Also, this route is a bit hilly...good practice for SF but still really tough on the legs and lungs as well. The weather has been a bit funky of late...hopefully it won't be too hot or too humid first thing in the am.

Our coach wrote the following in this week's email:
"Goals are to be set high but to accomplish the goal you have to let go of it. You have to forget about it and focus on the path to get you there!"

Well, since I haven't been an athlete for long, I can say that I don't have the foggiest idea what he means by the above statement! What the heck is the point of having a goal if not to focus on it?? I know that I focus on the end of the run while I am slogging away on the route each time I run. I have yet to find that magical plane that so many runners mention when they talk about running as a spiritual exercise. It takes me a good three miles to get over the discomfort and to quit complaining.

It is a good thing that I wasn't actually IN the wilderness with the Israelites. I feel quite certain that I would have been involved in the whole quail incident ;)

Gut Shabbos...
;) Riv

PS I'll write Motz'ei Shabbat and let you know how things went...if I am still vertical!!

1 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Blogger PepGiraffe said...

The thing about the goal . . . not totally sure that I can explain it, but here is what I make of it:

Think of it in terms of something like gender. I don't generally think "I related to something this way because I am female." I don't have a choice because I am female. That influences the way you think even if you never thing about it. It's not the best analogy, but there is some truth to it.

So you have this goal in the back of your mind. Once you have internalized it, it doesn't make sense to focus on it. What you want to focus on in this case (I am guessing) is how you are running, your breathing, whether or not you have to pick up groceries, etc.

Anyway, good luck and have fun. And ignore PC. I think he might be misnamed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com