Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Motivation

I just didn't feel like running last night. I put it off and put it off and put it off and then finally felt so guilty that at 9:00pm, I finally laced up my running shoes and ran out the front door. (Don't tell my grandparents -- they'd freak!)

I chose a really well-lit and highly populated area to run and for the first time, I did a solo run without my walkman...er, iPod! (Old lingo dies hard!)

I just didn't want to run. It was late and I was tired...and there were a dozen reasons why. And no, I didn't run the entire 4 miles I was scheduled to run. I ran 1.5 miles and then walked the remaining 2.5 miles -- yeah, Mom and Dad, I did the math myself ;)

The sad thing is that I walk at about the same pace I run -- so it didn't take me too much longer to walk it. I imagine that my speed will increase as I get better at this.

I really wanted to quit last night. Not the whole project. I just wanted to quit last night's run. And then I thought of you, dear reader. The same you who has supported this endeavour of mine. The same you who faithfully follows my journey to athletic greatness.

When I got home, I did something that I never thought I would do -- I took an ice bath. Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently there was a shift in thinking from when I was a kid. If you have a sore muscle, don't use heat. Remember -- ice is nice! So I immersed myself in a frigid tub of water (completely layered on top with sweatshirts) and sat in it for about 15 minutes. I had a book with me and that really took my mind off the reality that I was sitting in extremely cold water!

And when I woke up...nothing. No soreness. For the first time - hooray!

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com