Monday, September 12, 2005

Still in the Game

I am still here. I am still training. I've got 7 weeks to go...

I met up with the Tortoises at 5:15am on Saturday. It was really dark!! Since the last time we ran together, they have really increased their time! They didn't know it...but I could tell because it felt much faster than my miles. I was only with them for the first 2.2 miles. I didn't want to reinjure myself so I figured I'd better keep it under 5 miles.

It was OK. Better than OK, actually. It was so much better than the first few weeks that I was running. Even with the many weeks that I didn't train, I obviously retained some of the stamina and strength I had established.

But I still have a lot of work to do. PC is really, really concerned that I'll injure myself. However, I believe that if I train diligently in the weeks leading up to the marathon, I will be all right. I will continue to run 3-4 times a week as well as add some cross-training 2-3 times a week in order to strengthen my muscles and get in some cardio. One rest day a week will give me some time to recuperate.

I have accepted the fact that I won't be able to run the entire distance. My goal, as of today, is to run 16 of the 26.2 miles...and walk the rest. I will start off not with the runners but with the walkers in order to have enough time to complete the race before the course is closed.

Probably the most disappointing part of this entire process has been the lack of support from my Team in Training coach and mentor. Not only have they not contacted me at all during the many weeks I did not show up for workouts...but the coach did not say a word when I returned on Saturday. In fact, he didn't even seem to notice that I'd been gone.

You know I'll be writing some emails/letters after October 23rd about that!!

I ran 2 miles tonight. Really felt it in my thighs...of course, that was because I did 45 minutes on the bike yesterday. And now that I've showered and have sat for a few minutes, I am feeling it in my lungs and abs. In a good way!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com