Monday, September 05, 2005

Jerusalem Memories

It wasn't as bad as it might have been.

I thought that I would be able to run 4 miles after having been on the disabled list over the past several weeks.

I have finally begun how to successfully listen to my body. I know this because after two miles, I knew with absolute certainty that it was time to call it a day!

But I get ahead of myself!

So I thought that I was going to run with my girls down at the beach in OC. However, they called to say that they were starting super-duper early and I knew that it was pointless for me to schlep all the way down there and only run a couple of miles with them before heading back. I decided to run here at home instead.

The first mile was fine. In fact, I was surprised to find that it actually felt rather good to get back out there. I feared that it would be like the first time I had run...remember?? Way back on May 21, when I thought my heart would actully beat right through my chest.

As I was completing my first mile, however, I felt a strangly familar feeling......

**********************************

I was living in Jerusalem for my first year of rabbinical school and one of my parents' friends had invited me for dinner at her home. Her flat was in Baca or Katamon or German Colony or some neighbourhood that was a substantial walk from my then-flat (I later moved -- another story for another time) in Rehavia. I wore a skirt, which was not uncommon when trying to make a nice impression. Nor was it uncommon in the unbearable heat that July in Jerusalem can bring.

I started walking. And walking. And walking...

And before I knew it, I had the most horrendous chafing situation going on. I limped my way there, and cannot remember how I got home.

***********************************

It turned out that Saturday morning, I had forgotten the all important Body Glide. This is a product especially created to prevent chafing during athletic activities. I had never forgotten to use it before a run, and it was very clear to me that I would not be able to run another step without incurring a rash much like the one I got in Jerusalem all those many years ago.

I decided to walk the rest so that I could better control the situaion. MInd you, I walk at about the same clip that I run so my time was about the same. The impact, of course, was less.

I am going to bike and run this week and anticipate joining my girlie-girls on Saturday for the group run.

I'll keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com