Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Grounded

Remember the nagging hamstring from last week...

So since it was feeling mostly better, I did the 14 Mile run this past Shabbos. Let's just say that I pushed things a bit too far!! In the days since the run, my hamstring has really bothered me. So much so that I skipped my run yesterday and made an appointment with our team doctor for this afternoon. I iced it and stretched it and hoped for the best.

Upshot -- a pulled hamstring. To be more specific, a Grade 1-Grade 2 (aka First Degree-Second Degree) strain (pull) in the left hamstring.

Treatment -- ice, stretching, anti-inflammatory, and no running for at least the next several days. Cross-training, however, is just fine and even recommended. So I'll be hitting the stationary bike tomorrow.

Follow-up appointment -- Friday before Shabbos.

Prognosis -- good...if I follow the doctor's orders!

How frustrating! I should have listened to my body last week and called the doctor after the pain didn't subside after a few days. Instead, I made a common mistake...to work through the pain. That pain is just part of the process.

In fact, pain is just the body's method of communication. Short of my leg falling off, how else can my body signal an injury???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com