Sunday, June 12, 2005

Saturday Runs

The Saturday runs are the most challenging and yet the easiest.

What makes it challenging?Each week, our distance increases. Last week, it was a 4 mile run. This week, it was a 5 mile run. Next week is a 6 mile run, and then for some Godforsaken reason, we increase by two miles each week. I presume that there is some method to the madness. Not the increase. I get that. It's the 2 mile increase that gets me. That's a big increase.


Challenging yet easy?
Running with a group. Yuck -- you just can't give up when you have people supporting you. A positive, I suppose, because they really keep you on track. However, what if I really want to slack off?? My precious "tortoises" won't let me give up (thanks, girls!!)

Maybe there really is strength in numbers.


What makes it the easiest?
We start at the same starting point each week, run the sam route, and just add on to the end. There is a great deal of satisfaction in marking one's progress according to the landmarks. For example, during the first run -- which was a mile run to the Pier and back -- I struggled mightily and walked a great deal of the way. Now, I can make it to the Pier with little effort. As I proceed down the beach path, I pass the landmarks that had previously been very tough to reach. I really feel as though I can measure my increased endurance and success by running the same route.

So what do I learn from this?
Besides the obvious (that a 2 mile increase is insane), I understand that we should rely on the landmarks to help measure our growth and successes. Without being obnoxiously rabbinic, overcoming challenges that would have waylaid us earlier in our lives can serve as important landmarks on our internal journey.

Sermon over!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

RunningRabbi may explode without warning
M
EXPLOSIVE

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com